Wednesday, September 26, 2007

EEG & MRI done!

It's amazing how you can go from hopeful to hopeless in just a matter of hours. On Monday evening before the tests, I kept having these haunting feelings like, "Why even bother with these tests? They aren't going to give you any answers anyway! You're just wasting your time!" Ugh!



Gracie did really well for her tests. She was really great for the EEG and she was pretty patient with not being able to eat anything (at least as patient as you can expect from a two year old) from 6:00 am until her test at 12:15. (The test didn't actually happen until around 1:00 pm). She came out of the anesthesia earlier than expected though and came out kicking and screaming. After holding her down for about 1/2 hour, she finally calmed down enough to drink some juice which she guzzled. Poor thing. Then she guzzled a whole can of pediasure. We were worried that it was all going to come right back up, but she managed to keep it down. The nurse told us that she probably wouldn't take a nap that afternoon because she had already had a "nap" during her test. Gracie doesn't do anything like they say she will, so she ended up napping for the rest of the afternoon when she got home. Hmmmm.



They said that her temperature was low when she came out of the anesthesia. That's interesting because I have noticed that as she is coming out of a cycle her hands and feet tend to be freezing cold. I'm wondering if she is having trouble regulating her body heat.



Dr. Barclay called yesterday to see how she did with the tests and to tell us that the metobolic tests that he ran came back negative. He said he felt like he has stretched this thing as far as he can. I'm not sure what that means. Is he giving up? Is he going to refer her to a different kind of doctor? I felt very hopeless after getting off the phone with him. He did say he wants a CT scan of her abdomen.



We don't have an appointment with the neurologist until October 8th to go over the test results for the MRI and the EEG. However, they said that they would contact us before that if the tests revealed any major problems.

Gracie looked like she had been beaten up when we left the hospital yesterday. Her hair was all messed up and goopy from the EEG glue they used for the probes and she had red marks on her face where they had taped her eyes closed for the MRI. They also had to put a tube down her throat for the MRI so that in case she threw up, it wouldn't go back down her throat and into her lungs. Good grief - she has been through so much in her short little life!

I know I keep saying this, but thank you for your continuing prayers. We really need them.

We took pictures of her at the hospital yesterday on our cell phones, but I couldn't figure out how to get them from my phone to the computer. If anyone knows how to do that, let me know so I can post them up here.

Blessings.

4 comments:

Denise said...

Thanks for posting an update. I have thought and prayed for Gracie often over these past couple of days and will continue to do so as you wait. Please give Gracie an extra kiss and hug from her Jiangxi sister, EmmiGrace.
I am no expert when it comes to cell phone pictures but on mine I can email the pic to myself, then save it for other use. Not sure if that will work for you or not.

Denise

Anonymous said...

Joyce, I just wanted to let you know that our family is praying for Gracie... I can't imagine how difficult this whole situation has been for you, but remember that you are not alone!!!
Love,
Rebecca Cronk
(Dave, Ethan, Grace & Sarah--Lianjiang)

Anonymous said...

We continue to think of and pray for Gracie and your family often. We are sorry that little Gracie has to endure so much and we know it is very hard on her whole family. Your faith is amazing and a testimony to all that read your blog. We love you all and will continue to pray. God Bless!!

The Bradys

G and C said...

Joyce,
It has been a long time since I have sent a message but blogger has not been letting me into the comments page since we returned from China with #2(9/12). I often check your blog and we will be praying for all of you. I came across a verse for Gracie "As for you, I'll come with healing, curing the incurable, Because they all gave up on you and dismissed you as hopeless....-Jeremiah 30:17 The Message Bible

Jehovah Rapha-the Lord who heals will sustain you today.

Love,
Cheri