This is an update I got from the HSLDA website. Sounds encouraging...
March 11 Update: O’Connell Supports Right to Homeschool
State Superintendent of Public Instruction Jack O’Connell comes to the defense of homeschool families. “The California Department of Education policy will not change in any way as a result of this ruling. Parents still have the right to homeschool in this state,” he said.
After the Court of Appeal for the Second Appellate District in Los Angeles ruled on February 28 that parents had to be credentialed teachers to educate their own children, the statement from O’Connell is encouraging news for the homeschool community.
“O’Connell has it right,” said Michael Farris, Chairman of HSLDA. “But the court decision must still be overturned before homeschool freedom can be restored in California.”
The Court of Appeal ruling shocked the homeschool community because in one sweeping decision it effectively outlawed homeschooling.
“We hope the statement from O’Connell puts the brakes on any enforcement action,” said Farris.
HSLDA will be pursuing several legal options, including seeking review by the California Supreme Court and petitioning the same court to depublish the opinion in order to return California to being a state where a family can legally homeschool in California without fear.
“We have just started the legal battle to restore homeschool freedom in California,” said Farris.
Monday, March 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It is scary when government madates what we can do with our own children with regard to education!
Dear Joyce,
Happy Easter to you, my dear friend! You are in my thoughts today as I am thinking about our God who has the power to raise the dead and give them life. Our God who raises us up, who is the lifter of our heads. May He bless you with all you dream of in your heart of hearts. May He bring healing to little Gracie. May He bring you a season of renewal, refreshing, and a year of jubilee. I know you have placed all your hopes in Him and I know He hears every prayer you have prayed. I wait with and for you on our God who sent even His own son because He knew what was required. You remain in my prayers and on my list of those I am so thankful for!
Much love to you!
Writing as,
~~~Meredith~~
PS There is a beautiful song at the end of my blog post for March 2o or 21, that has ministered to my heart on more than one occasion. You may love it as much as I do!
Post a Comment