Sunday, May 10, 2009

Back In The Hospital

I know it's been a long time since I've updated Gracie's blog, but I just haven't had much to say.  Gracie has been doing really great up until Easter.  She was well for 5 months straight between Thanksgiving and Easter.  I don't know what it is about holidays.  She got sick on Easter and missed all the Easter festivities.  Luckily she doesn't quite know what she is missing yet.  She was sick for 10 long days.  Poor little pumpkin. 

We went up to see Dr. Merritt at the Children's Hospital in Seattle on Friday (5/8/09).  He is the biochemical geneticist that diagnosed Gracie with the Ketone Utilization Disorder.  He wasn't happy about how long her cycles last and so he told us that next time she get's sick (ironically she started getting sick as soon as we left his office) he wanted us to take her into the hospital and get her on IV fluids immediatedly.  He has a special mix he wanted our dr.'s to use so they needed to call him to get that mix.  (Probably a pinch of eye of newt and some elbow of spider or something like that. lol)  He was hoping that this would shorten her cycle from 10 days down to 3 or 4, maybe 5.  When we got to the ER, they ran some tests and found that Gracie had a urinary tract infection, so they wanted to keep her overnight to run more tests. They gave her some antibiotics and so here we sit, waiting for the IV fluids to take hold.  She didn't throw up for the normal 24 hours straight like she normally does.  It was more like 12 hours, so I'm encouraged by that, but she is still feeling miserable and wiped out. 

I am praying that his episode will be shortened.  Thanks for your prayers and support. 

Happy Mother's Day!

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Wow, Thankgsiving to Easter must have been such a blessing! I'm praying that the new "special mix" does wonders, but even more importantly, I'm praying that they become unnecessary...
Good to hear from you guys again, I'd been wondering how Gracie was doing.

Kristi

Ally said...

I have been thinking of Gracie lately. I will continue to keep her and your family in my prayers. I hope you enjoyed your Mother's Day.

Our Journey said...

We will keep you & Gracie in our prayers. What a wonderful long 5 months that must have been. I hope that they can figure out the right mix, to cut down the days of sickness for her!